Skip to main content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
JSTOR provides access to more than 10 million academic journal articles, books, and primary sources in 75 disciplines. Also houses a growing collection of Open Access e-books and e-journals.
Biblical Commentaries: Because commentaries help explain Bible passages, they can be useful when you are working on a biblical exegesis. The library has many print and online commentaries.
The Oxford Bible Commentary (e-book)
Suggested Search Terms
If you are writing an exegesis on a scripture passage, you may find these search terms helpful.
- Using the Search@XU advanced search or within a database, select to search by Subject Terms and enter:
- Bible. Name of Book Chapter (example: Bible. John 1)
- Bible. -- Commentaries
- Bible. -- Name of Book -- Criticism, interpretation, etc. (example: Bible -- John -- Criticism, interpretation, etc.)
- RELIGION -- Biblical Criticism & Interpretation -- New Testament
- RELIGION -- Biblical Criticism & Interpretation -- Old Testament
- Bible -- Feminist criticism
- Bible -- Criticism, Textual
- If you are searching JSTOR, try searching:
- Critical readings
- Old Testament or New Testament
- The topics in the passage (example: Resurrection)